FSW works to support families overcome difficult periods in their lives with positive, emotional and practical advice through:
• home visits
• one-to-one meetings
• support groups and drop-ins
• signposting to other agencies for legal and financial issues
• arranging trained volunteers to work alongside our professional staff
We offer information on:
• housing problems
• health and education issues
Our free and confidential support is offered to parents/carers and their children in many areas of East and West Sussex, including Brighton & Hove. This includes anyone who has the responsibility for the care of children, whether they are single, separated, divorced, bereaved or grandparents.
Our Family Support Workers arrange group activities involving parents alone as well as families. These are varied and depend on the needs and circumstances of those involved. They may include activities such as:
- Lunch clubs, where health and nutritional ideas can be absorbed;
- Parenting education work;
- A Time Out group for parents alone facing issues of school exclusion have all featured in the last twelve months.
- Holidays for families at a highly subsidised rate are also organised by the workers.
- A free swap-shop with clothes and toys donated by Association supporters adds to the development of mutual support among parents and families.